Below are step-by-step instructions on how to plant your own hanging baskets.
If a hands-on learning experience interest you, we offer hanging basket workshops in the spring. Check our workshop schedule here.
To keep your baskets looking gorgeous all season, check out our hanging basket maintenance tips too.
Hanging Basket Planting Supplies List
Got questions? Contact us here.
8845 Aquarius Road
Prince George, BC
1. Select your desired Basket Stuffers and other annuals. Ensure that the plants’ sunlight requirements, growth habit and mature size will be compatible with your container.
2. Fill your container with new, good quality Potting Mix. The soil level should be 1.5 - 2” below the rim of the pot.
3. Add the recommended amount of Slow-Release Fertilizer (14-14-14) or equivalent organic fertilizer. Blend it in evenly throughout the soil.
4. Lightly water in the soil. Add more potting mix if necessary.
5. Before planting anything, lay out the plants in the container and finalize your design.
6. Start by planting your center plant. Gently remove the plant from its pot and loosen roots if necessary. Dig in the plant so that it sits about 1” below the rim of the pot. Repeat the process with the remaining plants.
7. After everything is planted, water the container thoroughly.
8. Add liquid transplant fertilizer (5-15-5) to reduce transplant shock (optional).
Check your containers for water every few days. Generally speaking, the plants will only need watering every 2-5 days for the first 2-3 weeks. Be careful to avoid overwatering at this stage.
Once the plants are actively growing (after about 3 weeks), begin fertilizing with All-Purpose Fertilizer (20-20-20) or organic equivalent every two weeks. Check plants for water daily.